Okay, so obviously you've found the blog. Now you need to look in the upper right hand corner of the screen. You see the link that says "New Post"? Click on it. Viola! You can now post your answer to this week's blogging question!

If you don't see the "New Post" link, you're not set up to post. Go back to the Week 1 folder and watch the blogging tutorial to find out how to become authorized to post.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010



Well, I was not surprised by the amount of ads I encounter in the project, but I became more aware of how many advertisements that I normally ignore. Depending on the venue, there is a tremendous of advertising tailored to the target audience. Even though we are bombarded with media advertising, I believe that TV definitely has the largest percentage of advertising. When watching TV, you have no choice but to watch the commercials. I love my DVR and have been known to pause something while I run to do a chore just so I can fast forward through the commercials. I have also noticed that if you try to watch full episodes of TV shows on the internet, there are now commercial that you cannot avoid. Advertising definitely has an impact on some people more than others. My youngest will pause the TV until I can get into the room to show me the latest toy.

While watching TV, there were so many ads that I lost track. I started to write them all down, but eventually gave up. Of course, Nickelodeon is the channel that I logged because it is what my kids were watching. I expected there to be lots of toy ads and kids shows. While I did see many of those ads, I was surprised to see all of the ads creatively aimed at adults. There were ads for HP ink cartridges, Wal-Mart, State Farm Insurance, and hair color, just to name a few. Apparently, I am not the only adult that watches this channel with their kids.

I will admit that I do not read the paper a lot, but I did pick up the local paper because my son’s All-Star baseball team had their picture in it. There were a ton of ads for local businesses all crammed in little squares, as well as a lot of car dealerships and real estate being advertised. These ads were very unappealing to the eye and even though I looked at them, as I sit here, I can’t remember a single one without looking at my log.

To be honest, the radio is a hard one for me, because I switch stations so often that I rarely here an ad. I probably listen to the radio in the morning on the way to work more than any other time of day. Most of the stations are all talk in the morning and do not play a lot of ads. The local radio personalities do their pitches for Sprint and there was an ad for 3C Body Shop, but that was about it. I do believe that since I listened in the morning and there is so much talk, there are more radio ads later in the day. I know that when I have tuned in later in the day, I hear lots of ads for local bars.

Surfing the internet is another place that I chose to ignore most advertising. I absolutely hate pop up ads. They are so annoying! I keep my pop-up blocker on, so I only see a small fraction of what is out there. When I get on Facebook, there are always sponsor ads on the right hand side of the screen. I never pay any attention to them. Same thing with Yahoo or any other site that I click on today, the ads are there and I ignore them all. http://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=96e4df8492646093f2a9603726f0e03f&eu=2CN6ZgPPXN_mjhHE8KMEdg

Traveling to work, I am driving in the country, so the only ads I see are real estate sales. There are a couple of billboards very close to my work. Since I never even paid attention to what is on them until this assignment, I am guessing they are not very effective. I do, however, notice billboards on the freeway. Maybe it is just there placement or the fact that there is nothing else around to distract the eye. I can definitely say that the billboard advertising the local bank never catches my eye, but the “We know snot” series of billboards (by Children’s Hospital Urgent Care) always gets my attention. I only see these when I drive up 71 to go the Polaris, but I remember them, so I guess that one is effective, right? http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/urgent-care-services

6 comments:

  1. Kim - no you are not the only adult that watches those channels with her kids, I do too :) I have also noticed the commercials on tv internet sites like abc and cbs, also hulu.com, but they usually only last 30 seconds or less. I still prefer to use my DVR and just fast forward through the commercials! I too have noticed the Children's hospital signs and I don't go to Columbus very much - so I guess they have made an impact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heidi! Sounds like we have a lot in common. That 30 second commercial seems to last forever when you are used to fast forwarding through them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that surfing the internet is the one place I get the most annoyed from advertismetns simply becuase the majority of them come in the form of pop-ups. Also, there has never been an ad that popped up and I took time time to read it and go to the site to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post, Michael. So I wonder what consumer pays attention to those pop-ups? I don't know anyone who pays any attention to them, so why are there so many of them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also noticed the signs for Children's Hospital! I think they are very memorable, but they are also advertising something most people will absolutely have to have at one point in their lives. Trying to get people to pay attention to an ad for something that cost a lot and that you really never need is a completely different game. I believe that advertising for a place is easier than for an item.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I read the beginning of your post, I have to agree with not surprised about the amount of ads. Most people do not care about the ads but it is surprising about what kinds that we miss. I have never seen that ad for Children's Hospital that is something that stood out. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete