Okay, so obviously you've found the blog. Now you need to look in the upper right hand corner of the screen. You see the link that says "New Post"? Click on it. Viola! You can now post your answer to this week's blogging question!

If you don't see the "New Post" link, you're not set up to post. Go back to the Week 1 folder and watch the blogging tutorial to find out how to become authorized to post.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Week 9

We are all tech nerds at my house and all use the internet on a daily basis. We have 2 computers at home and many times, my husband and I both have our work computers at home too. My son gets online with his iPod Touch. My husband surfs the internet with his cell phone. We can get online with the Wii and we just bought a Blue Ray player that we intend on using the Wi-Fi to stream Netflix on. We use the internet for entertainment, news, shopping, social networking, school, paying bills, and just about anything else that you can think of. So far, the kids are not more tech-savvy than my husband and I, but I am sure that the day will come.

This is all pretty amazing considering 15 years ago we did not have a computer in our home. I don’t remember exactly when I was introduced to the internet, but I remember when we got our first computer. I was pregnant with my second child, so it was about 12 yrs ago. I remember my 4 yr old asking to play a game and I did not know how to start it up. I called my husband and he told me to turn on the computer and Jake could show me how. There was NO WAY I was going to let my little kid know more about computers than I did! I went to school, I am now Microsoft Office certified and I am very proficient on the computer.

Recently, I kept missing calls from my aunt and uncle. I knew they were coming for a visit, but did not know when, so I texted my cousin. She responded,” they don’t leave messages, or text, or send email, or even have the internet.” While they were here, I talked to them about this. They are both professionals. My aunt works full time and my uncle is semi-retired. They both have email accounts and use the internet daily at work. They do not use it for anything that they do not need and will not use the email account for personal use. They have a computer at home, but my uncle doesn’t trust the internet. He says he does not want to get a virus that would destroy his pictures, as he is very skilled in Photoshop. Because of their jobs and their ages, they have been using the internet as long as businesses have been using it. They are content to live with very little access to technology in their personal lives. They barely turn on their cell phones. LOL

We have very different uses for the internet and technology. I wonder how they live without it. Then again, I’ll bet they get a lot more done around the house than we do! There is a definitely divide between our household and theirs. I do think that the divide will narrow, as older people are becoming more computer savvy. When multiplied across a larger scale of society, I think that we will see that the less fortunate/less educated will still be the portion of society that does not jump on the technology bandwagon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kim,
    Good Post. Although I'm not sure I agree with the last part. I think that as time goes by and prices come down on newer gadgets the "less fortunate/less educated" will be able to blend in nicely. They will have no choice. That is the way the world is moving, granted it may take a while. Some how "they" have found ways to drive cars. Surely someone at some point said they'll never have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments, Andy. I see your point.

    ReplyDelete