Okay, so obviously you've found the blog. Now you need to look in the upper right hand corner of the screen. You see the link that says "New Post"? Click on it. Viola! You can now post your answer to this week's blogging question!

If you don't see the "New Post" link, you're not set up to post. Go back to the Week 1 folder and watch the blogging tutorial to find out how to become authorized to post.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Myers - Week 10 Mass Media Law

I think that famous figures do not deserve protection from the paparazzi. They chose their profession and I think that if they do not want the limelight, then they should not have chosen this occupation. If a person feels threatened by the news media and feel that they are being “hounded,” then they should, with their own funds, hire the protection they feel that they need. There is a small part of me that feels sorry for these people, but the larger part of me is not concerned with them. I do not think that we, as a society, should put these people up on a pedestal. I think that is part of what is wrong with how we view famous people. I can honestly say that I have never met anyone famous and I am not sure how I would react, but I am very hopeful that I would not faint, or fawn all over him or her. I am hopeful that I would treat them as a person and not as someone who thinks they are deserving of the moon and sun!

I think the news media have a right to pursue these people and any other idea or thing that they think is newsworthy. Would we limit the news media on pursuing hurricanes or other natural disasters that happen around the world? If we limit the media on certain items, I think that we are taking away their First Amendment rights.

As far as trying to determine the line of public and private life for public figures, I like the following quote from an article I read on thenewsmanual.com:

If a serious actor makes his living from his performances but does not attempt to gain extra publicity when off the stage, he would have more success in demanding a private life away from media attention.

This argument also extends to sportsmen and women who try to be public personalities off the field as well as on it. If they use the media to make money, they cannot be surprised when the media use their private lives to sell newspapers.

The more that people use the media machine, the more they can expect to be used by it.

I do not think that I can begin to say the same thing as well as this quote puts it. I think that as a celebrity who may feed off the media, they lose the right to tell the media when and where they want their private lives to begin and end.

http://debates.juggle.com/is-it-sensible-to-protect-celebrities-from-the-paparazzi-with-a-designated-personal-safety-zone

http://www.thenewsmanual.net/Manuals%20Volume%203/volume3_62.htm

5 comments:

  1. Andie I disagree :) Your post was good, but I feel that there is a time and a place for the paparazzi. I think everyone deserves some level of privacy, especially when they are with their families or at their home. I know if I were in their place, I would want some privacy when I was not "at work or on the job".

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I appreciate your stand on this, it is very one sided. What about the people who stalk actor's children at their schools for a picture? Is that ok because their parent is famous? These actions put people at risk and everyone has a right to privacy on some level to protect themselves and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi and Kim,
    I realize that people do deserve their privacy, but when these same people go out of their way to get themselves in the papers and in the news and then complain about everyone wanting a piece of them...that is what is wrong! This is where I feel that they need no protection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good point but security can be very costly. I also do feel like just because they have chosen to be in the limelight that they deserve no privacy. I agree with Heidi there is a time and place for it, and it should not be all the time in every place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree that there are certain places that the paparazzi should not be allowed to go, but how would you write a law that would prohibit them from say, going to a school? How would you enforce that law? Should they have to show their credentials before entering? We can write all the laws we want, it's the enforcing that I think is the hardest.

    ReplyDelete