Okay, so obviously you've found the blog. Now you need to look in the upper right hand corner of the screen. You see the link that says "New Post"? Click on it. Viola! You can now post your answer to this week's blogging question!

If you don't see the "New Post" link, you're not set up to post. Go back to the Week 1 folder and watch the blogging tutorial to find out how to become authorized to post.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

ADVERTISING

I encountered multiple ads during this project. I was actually surprised at how many there are because when I normally see or hear ads I will just change the station until they are over. Having to force myself to listen to or watch the ads was the harder part.

During driving I logged 35 ads. I was driving approximately 45 minutes to an hour. (From Heath to Forest Hills Lake in Fresno) Most of the ads I saw were advertising a stopping area close to where the billboard was placed. This does not surprise me at all. There were 9 billboards alone for Roscoe Village. They use very aggressive advertising to attract customers to their business.

The radio was possibly the hardest one for me. Mainly because I only listen to the radio in my car, and I was trying to watch for ads on the roadways too, but I did hear quite a bit of advertising. It is interesting to hear radio hosts reading an advertisement for something and then ask, “if anyone knows what that is, please call in”. I thought that was the funniest thing in the world considering they are being paid to market something and they do not even know what it is. In total there were 42 ads, however that includes the repeats.

Television is probably the best place for people to advertise. It is very hard to ignore the commercials within that medium. I watched an hour long show (Covert Affairs) and saw 24 advertisements. Granted, most of them were for the show I was watching and the shows coming on after that, but there were a lot of hair color, Budweiser, Toyota etc. commercials.( Anyone else notice how hard Toyota is working now to look good again by the way? Just thought I would throw that in there. )

The internet had to be the worst!! I turned off my pop up blocker and started counting but gave up, and turned it back on when I was hit with 45 advertisements in 15 minutes. I thought my poor computer would blow up again. Unfortunately there were numerous ads for “adult based websites” and open dating sites. That is the most ridiculous thing in the world if you ask me. Throwing those ads at whoever happens to be online. That person could be a 12 year old little boy, please. That should really be monitored better. That was the first time in a couple years, and will be the last time ever, I turn off my pop up blocker.

I was not surprised at the amount of ads I found, if anything maybe a little taken back that there wasn’t more. Advertising is all around us all the time. We just get so busy we barely notice it anymore. Bus stop benches, the windows of every super market and gas station, signs signs everywhere. It is more amazing that we ever make it through an entire day without spending our entire life savings.

I believe the influence the ads have is fading drastically. That is why they are continually getting bigger and louder and more repetitive. People just don’t seem to care anymore. Most of the people in the world do not need advertising to tell them what they want, and the rest are just too busy to look.

I know myself personally, I am always the one who has to go look up the funny ads when my friends discuss them because I just do not see them anymore. I think most of the world is getting to where they just don’t have the time to read a paper and actually pay attention to the ads, or even sit through an entire television show. I am thinking if advertising wants to get through to people these days, they should email or even better, text ads to people. That might get one minute of attention, but probably not much more.

3 comments:

  1. wow that is a large number of ads and nine ads just for one business, they are aggressive.

    You know what I do not understand is why it takes 24 sponsors to provide for one show. I am really curious about how that all works.

    This assignment has certainly encouraged me to look into advertising further.

    Good post I enjoyed reading it and I also liked that you included your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The nine billboards was for roscoe village, so i kind of understand, they are wanting to catch your eye, and having one at every on ramp or exit makes you remember it. I am curious about the sponsor thing too though. I never quite understood that myself, maybe I will also look a little further into that.
    Thanks for your comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post to be very true and full of insight. I know how many ads you see all over the highway these days, I actually find the most informative though to be the new digital ones they are almost entertaining in a way like the new one on 3oth street it is able to post several ads at one time where as before they would have had to create a dozen with one bit of digital billboarding they have done at that sight, it's very innovative. Anyway I am rambling I like the post good job! Also, nice informative information throughout the blog, I like that.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete